Bu Blogda Ara

03 Ağustos 2006

Letters from Vietnam 21

3 August 2006 – 19:22 – Home

Kafka should have been born in Vietnam! Not in Prague! I was so happy last night when I got the picture of the backside of my diploma. My brother sent me the picture by e-mail so I could see all the authentication stamps. There were three stamps, each from different institutions. My brother went to Ankara just to get this work done. He was in his vacation but sacrificed a few days for me. He first went to Ministry of Education to get an approval to ensure that my diploma is from a YOK (Higher Education Institute) university. Then they took my diploma to get another stamp from Foreign Ministry so that the authentication from Ministry of Education can be authenticated. Then they took my diploma to Vietnamese Embassy to get the third and final authentication to authenticate the other two authentications. According to him, the most difficult part was Vietnamese Embassy because they had no idea what my brother wants them to do. They don’t speak Turkish which I can't blame for and don’t understand anything in Turkish. But shouldn't they have someone who can understand Turkish in the Embassy? Anyway, my brother called one of his friends who can speak English. O talked with the officials in the embassy and after one hour waiting, they got the stamp from the embassy. All these steps were told me by Embassy of Turkey in Hanoi. Therefore, I followed the steps and informed my brother about the necessary things. He did exactly what he had to do and he finished his part of the job. Now he is in vacation with his wife, probably swimming around Silivri coast. I thanked him several times. Today morning I printed the picture and gave it to HR department so they will say if it is ok or not! Since I did everything right, I was not worrying about it much. But things did not go that way!

In the afternoon, I have been called by one of the HR Department secretaries. She is the one who usually contacts with Vietnamese officials and deals with the problems. She told me that the authentication process is not completed. According to officials in immigration office, the stamp from Foreign Ministry and from Ministry of Education is in Turkish and both must be translated and authenticated by a third institution. This could be a local noter. If this is the end of the story, I would still be ok because it does not take too long time to go to a local noter and get translation with a stamp. My brother can do it very easily, just before sending the original copy of the diploma to me. It is not end of the story because the authentication of the translation must be also authenticated by Foreign Ministry again. Here I started laughing and asked the HR lady if she ever heard the name “Kafka”!!! She looked at my face and seemed she did not get my point. I also regretted asking this question since there was nothing she could do. She is also lost in her own job because she tries to help foreigners but burocracy is a hard-rock which does not give a way. This is why I started today’s journal entry with Kafka. Isn’t it a real Kafkaesque situation? A cat is trying to catch its tail? If I can authenticate translation of the stamps, then it must be authenticated by foreign ministry again. Then that authentication must be translated and authenticated by the noter again. In the vicious circle of authentication, we will never reach the Castle but we will also never give up the Castle. It is there, in front of our eyes, can be seen very easily, even with bare eyes but it is unreachable. It is unreachable not because we are not able to reach but because the gears of the system are designed in a wrong way that it will not let us to go through. In theory, even if we get all the authentications, there must be one last authenticator who does not need to be authenticated. Who is this? Is he God? Is he the officer in the Vietnamese immigration? Who is that self-authenticated person! Why can’t a noter or a foreign ministry stamp be a self-authenticator? If not, how can an official in the immigration office decide that the authentications from Ministry of Education and Foreign Ministry are useless because they are written in Turkish? If they were in English, then why would I have to take it to Vietnamese Embassy? We got another authentication from Vietnamese Embassy so that those Turkish-written stamps are related with what we are looking for. If it was useless, then why did they stamp on it? Isn’t it all weird and non-sense?

Now the situation is worse because I even don’t know what to do! I don’t think Foreign Ministry can give a stamp in English. I will write to the Embassy of Turkey in Hanoi again and ask them what I can do now. It is amazing that I started working in Thailand without having the original copy of my diploma. I even got my second job in Rayong with the photocopy of my diploma. I brought the original copy of my diploma to Thailand in 2002 and used it first time in SIS. I can not blame the principals for not asking me the original copy of my diploma because I am a math teacher. This means I teach math and without a proper degree it is not easy to teach math. If my degree was not real, I would not have been able to teach Grade 11 and 12 Math/Physics. It is obvious and I guess this was the reason why they did not ask me the original copy for long time.

I was planning to write on other things but this authentication problem and its funny side made me away from my plans. Anyway, it is still ok and there is plenty of time to write on other things. Tomorrow, I will write in Turkish. After that I will write in English and in Turkish alternatingly. Tomorrow is also the second day for running. I have to wake up early and run around Fu my Hung area.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder