Bu Blogda Ara

09 Eylül 2006

Letters from Vietnam 25

9th September 2006 – 13:44

I planned to write yesterday evening but all my excitement has been killed by a small troubling event. When I arrived at home I found a postcard in the postbox. I rang the bell at the entrance of the building and asked J to drop the key for the postbox. She threw the key down and I opened the box. It was a postcard from Mongolia. T went there at the beginning of this year and she sent me a postcard with pictures of camels walking in the desert. I felt very happy since it is hard to receive postcards in these days. Actually another one from Kenya –from B- came a few days ago too. I took the postcard and climbed the stairs. When I entered the apartment, I learnt that J has already seen the postcard and put it back to there to make me feel happier. Since I discover it myself, I am supposed to feel better. Actually I would not have minded if she has given it to me when I entered the apartment but I should consider this as one of the many small games invented by J and it seems to make her happy. The trouble started later in the evening. I started to put the all the post cards I have received in last 6 years under the glass surface of the table. I have found the postcards from Uli, from my brother, from students, from neighbors –for wedding ceremony-. It was a good time to remember old days. But there was something missing. In my letter bag, there must be also letters from SS. She was one of my classmates in university and we were good friends. We sent letters and postcard to each other during my first year in Thailand and I was keeping them in the same bag which also contains letters from other friends. Where were they? First I thought I somehow put them in another bag but it was impossible. Then I found out that J has separated them from my other letters and left them in Thailand, in a folder which is not even mine! I felt angry because she should have told me before doing such a thing! I can understand the feeling of jealousy but I can not understand keeping it secret like it is something I should not know! After this incident I stopped thinking about what to write but concentrated more on what I did wrong! As a married person, don’t I have right to keep the letters from a friend? And the letters are all about general things like religion, literature and math. We used to chat a lot on these topics when we were in university and we continued writing each other for one more year. There is no one single love word in those letters! What made her think that keeping letters from a friend is wrong! I kept quiet almost all night and in the morning I left home without waking her up. I had the breakfast at school. Now I feel better but still I can’t accept the situation! When do women understand that their husbands are not ‘potential abandoners’? I guess many married women live with this feeling for all their lifetime. They think that one day another woman will come and take their husbands from them. This is a fear somewhere very deep in their unconscious. It might be because for a woman, having a good husband is something they earned or deserved. Since they ‘kidnap’ a man from other potential ‘kidnappers’, they scare that one day other kidnappers will be strong enough to re-kidnap their beloved husbands from the prison.


I just came from class now. I don’t want to think about the same disturbing event again. I guess I will forget it soon. Now it is time to start my writing plan: Contact

I actually liked the movie in the sense of the questions it asks. Are we all alone in this universe? If there are others, do we have anything in common? If they are like us, then can we communicate with them? And many other questions come to viewer’s mind during the movie. Of course, the movie is adapted from famous Physicist Carl Sagan’s novel so there are no stupid errors we usually see in Hollywood movies. The scientific facts are balanced and do not spoil the joy of watching the movie. It is well-written and well-directed. I want to write about one question, probably answered in the movie by Sagan but I am not convinced.

In the movie, we are supposed to believe that prime numbers are universal. The word ‘universal’ scares me but I have to use it in the sense of uniformity of the concept of numbers. Actually, scientists already started to talk about parallel multi-verses but it is another topic and it needs another writing exercise. According to the movie, in the space there are all kinds of radio waves and they are coming from all sorts of stars, planets, black holes etc.. When Eleanor (I like her name) gets some strange radio waves, she counts them in terms of their blocks. Then they discover that the waves come with blocks of prime numbers. It is like 11, 111, 11111, 1111111,… for each one represents one bit sound. Because prime numbers are distributed irregularly, they conclude that this information comes from some intelligent extra-terrestrial civilization. The conclusion is derived from an assumption. We assume that prime numbers are universal. Basically, before this assumption, we have to assume that numbers are universal. And before this assumption, we have to assume that there are things which are universal. I will start discussing about universality of numbers in the next page. To do this I need to define numbers. This is one of the most difficult jobs in the history of Math since there have been many different definitions for numbers during the last a few century. However, today’s Mathematicians usually accepts the number concept, which has been developed by Frege and improved by Russell.

It is time to stop here... I will continue later...

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder