Bu Blogda Ara

02 Kasım 2007

The Semi-Terminal

As soon as I put my passport on one of the check-in desks of NewYork International Airport, an airport security police appeared just behind me. He was actually following me right after I left the airplane. I pretend not to look at him so that he will pay less attention to me but it did not work. He was not even trying to hide himself so that he will not scare me. Then he approached me closer, took my passport before the lady in front of me reached it. “Are you from Turkey?” he asked with a deep, official voice.

-Yes, I am. Why? Is there something wrong with my passport or my visa?

-No, no! Nothing is wrong with your visa I guess. I just have never seen a blonde Turkish man before. Did you dye your hair before coming here?

-No I didn’t. This is the true color of my hair. There are many blonde people in Turkey and they are Turkish. It is not so unusual in my country or at least in the region where I come from. I guess we are descendents of some Roman or Greek people in Black Sea Region.

-Well, I would say a blonde Turkish man is more dangerous than the others! Could be a good camouflage! I mean if you had some hidden agenda in your mind!

-Dangerous! What do you mean by “dangerous”? What did I do wrong? And why do I need a camouflage?

-Nothing wrong! At least not yet! I am trying to figure out if you have a potential of doing anything wrong in the future. Mr. Ahmet Basegmez! Is this your name? Please listen to me! Are you a Muslim?

-My name is Ahmet, that is true but I am not a Muslim! -How come? Aren’t you from Turkey? And your name sounds very Muslim!

-Yes, sir! I am from Turkey and my name is Arabic but I don’t think I believe in any God and I don’t think all people in Turkey are Muslim. Is it ok with you? Can a non-muslim Turkish man visit your country?

-Can you prove that?

-Prove what?

-Can you prove that you are not a Muslim because your passport says your religion is Islam?

-Well, in Turkey atheism or agnosticism are not considered as religions but this does not mean that there are no atheists in Turkey. The thing you see on my passport is the religion of my parents since they think that I will believe what they believe. However, I don’t or I cannot! I don’t know how one can prove his belief, or non-belief in my case. Do you want to wire me to a polygraph and check if I am lying? Maybe there are some leftover delusions from my family history. Or you might want to x-ray my brain to see if there is any cell which carries God’s names. But I doubt it because I deleted them long ago. What is your religion sir? Are you a Christian?

-None of your business!

-So can you prove that your religion is “none of my business”?

-Are you ridiculing with my questions. I need to ask these questions as it is part of my job. If you continue this mode of conduct, I will take you into the custody. Please answer my questions. Anyway, what is the purpose of your visit?

- I wrote this thing at least three times during my visa application and here again, you are asking me. I am here to join a funeral and will not stay more than two days. I booked my hotel, I have a return ticket and I have my job back in Turkey. I have no intention of living in your country more than I need to.

- A funeral? Whose funeral is this?

- A friend of mine died in an accident. We were in the same faculty at the university. He was one of my best friends and I need to join his funeral so that I can see him one last time.

- Do you have any contact number in America? Other than your hotel?

-No sir! The only person I know died yesterday and today there is funeral. So the only contact I can give you the address of my deceased friend.

-That won’t work! Anyone alive!

-I don’t know I said! He was single and was staying with his friends in a rented apartment.

-What was his name?

-Abdurrahman!

-Was he a Muslim? I bet with this name, he was!

-Yes he was! He believed in God and was practicing his religious duties as much as he could. But still we did not talk about religions very often so I did not care what he believed. We usually talked about our majors in the school. He was studying chemistry, same as me!

- Where was he from?

- He was American! But originally his family migrated to America from Pakistan in1970s.

-Hmmm! Let’s get back to you! You said you are not a Muslim but your name is Ahmet. Why is it so?

-Because my parents are Muslim and Ahmet was my grandfather’s name. What is the relationship between one’s name and his religion? Name is usually given by parents but religion is something you choose if you think about it enough.

- So religion is something you thought about deeply. Can I see the book you have in your hand?

- Yes, sure! But can I go after this? I don’t want to be late to the funeral.

- That will wait Mr. Ahmet. You did not convince me that you are not hiding anything. Please let me see the book. Oh ho! What is this? A book on Chemistry! Why do you need to read a book on Chemistry?

- Because I am a Chemistry teacher, sir! And I have a class on Monday morning so I have to prepare my class.

- Look, what you have here! “Explosives” So this chapter teaches how to make dynamites, right?

- Not exactly! It teaches chemistry of explosives, not the method of making them. I don’t think one reads this book can make dynamite. Moreover, knowing how to make dynamite does not make you a murderer. Nobel is the scientist who invented it. He surprisingly invented Nobel Prize too!

- So this book is harmless! You say. Is that right?

- Yes, sir! As harmless as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves”!

-Ok, Mr. Ahmet. I don’t know much about the Chemistry so I will not argue with you. But before you step on United States soil, this book must be investigated by some state officials so that we can be sure no harm it can cause to our citizens.

-But this means wasting a lot of time, sir! I don’t have time to wait! Take the book if you want and let me go.

-No Mr. Ahmet! I am afraid I cannot do that! You seem you are hiding so many things. You are from Turkey but you are blonde, your religion is not Islam, the only person you know in America died yesterday and you read books on explosives. I smell something wrong with this combination. Could you please step back and come with me? I am afraid this time I cannot let you to enter America. I have to report your situation to the head of airport security. Then they can deal with you! Not me! Where is my pen? Can you lend me your pen, I lost mine again! Thank you! Now, please sit down! Did you say you dyed your hair yesterday?

* * *

3 yorum:

  1. Adsız6:20 ÖS

    My friend..

    I read it already.. it's nice like the same.. but somehow,....is there any format that they frame for you to write?..

    your friend.

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Adsız6:24 ÖS

    ... one more thing.. i like the theme of absurdity.. that u wrote..

    your friend..

    YanıtlaSil
  3. It is supposed to be a simple dialogue which can also undermine the basic characteristics of the environment and conflict.
    I don't even know if it is good but it was fun to write...
    Cheers,
    A.

    YanıtlaSil